How To Become A Smooth Talker?
How To Become A Smooth Talker?
No matter how bright, hardworking, patient, or kind a person is, if he does not have a smooth conversation, then few people want to communicate with him. Honesty, brevity, clarity, and listening to the interlocutor are the key to a good conversation. How to be a smooth talker:
- Do not be distracted. This doesn't mean you should just put your phone or tablet away. Don't think about arguing with your boss or about what to cook for dinner; if you want to end the conversation, do it, but don't continue the conversation thinking about something else.
- Don't impose your own opinion. If you want to express your point of view without getting a response or criticism, start a blog. The conversation should be started with the expectation of learning something. Everyone you meet knows something you don't. To really hear the interlocutor, try to discard your own views for a while.
- Ask questions that require a detailed answer. If you are wondering how to talk smoothly, then take an example from journalists and start the question with the words "who," "what," "when," "where," "why," and "how." Otherwise, the interlocutor will only answer "yes" or "no." Ask them to describe an event or feeling. The interlocutor will think, and the answer will be interesting.
- Follow the flow of the conversation. Often some thought comes to our mind, and we stop listening to the interlocutor, thinking only about what we ourselves will ask. To prevent this from happening, learn to let go of the thoughts that arise in your mind. They will come and go, just don't cling to them.
- If you don't know something, say so. Radio presenters must be especially careful about their speech so as not to call themselves experts on the air in something they do not understand very well. Try to follow this rule. Do not throw words to the wind. Better to be safe and underestimate yourself.
- Do not compare your experience with the experience of the interlocutor. If the interlocutor talks about the loss of a loved one, do not say that you have experienced the same thing; if he mentions problems at work, do not start talking about your boss. Don't draw attention to yourself by proving how great you are or how much you've been through.
- Do not repeat yourself; here is what you need to define as smooth talking. It's arrogant and boring, but we all do it, especially in conversations at work or conversations with children. We want to make some point, so we rephrase it again and again. Try to get rid of this habit.
- Don't go into details. People care little about the exact dates, first names, last names, and other details you are trying to remember during a conversation. They are not interested. They are interested in you, what kind of person you are, and what they have in common with you. So forget about unnecessary details.
- Listen. This is the most important conversation skill. Of course, talking to yourself is easier and more pleasant. To listen, you need to make an effort and expend energy. But without it, there will be no real conversation. You will simply take turns saying more or less related sentences.
- Be brief. Scientists from the University of Brain Research in Boston found that artificial synchronization of the brain's hemispheres can speed up its work several times. According to experts, after applying this method, a person begins solving even the most complex logical problems in a short time.
Use small talk questions
After you have figured out what is a smooth talker, you can go deeper into exactly what questions to ask the interlocutor. The most difficult thing is starting communicate in an unfamiliar company around strangers with their interests and affairs. First, try to find friends or identify those who, like you, do not know anyone and are left alone.
To start communication, use universal questions:
- “How are you connected with this event? How did you get to it?”. This question will help you find mutual friends.
- “What are you doing when you don’t spend time on such activities?”. This question helps relieve stress.
- "Do you do charity work?" This question is necessary for the development of communication; even if a person is not involved in charity, he can tell about the reasons. This usually helps the interlocutor reveal character traits and personality traits.
- "How did you get into your job?" A question to start a long conversation in which you allow the interlocutor to share something interesting, to present yourself.
How to become a smooth talker? Mindfulness and the right questions will help you easily communicate with people.
Beware of dangerous topics
A smooth talker meaning is also a person who knows what topics not to start a conversation about. Politics and religion are well-known taboo topics for conversations with someone other than very close people.
- Family status. Many consider personal relationships the most taboo topic. Save breakup conversations for your friends and family.
- Appearance. Unless you work for a well-known clothing brand, your looks probably won't matter much to the job. Talking about excess weight, clothing, and appearance can harm the morale of the interlocutor.
- Socioeconomic status. You shouldn't brag about your lifestyle. If you told the interlocutor that you own a house in a resort, it would be more difficult for him to communicate with you because he may not have such a house.
How to smooth talk a girl?
All of the above rules can also be applied when meeting girls on a date. You can create a profile on GoDateNow, look at the Girls online gallery to find a girl you like, and start practicing smooth talk with her in a chat. You can also find more useful information on Our Dating Blog.